Thursday, February 11, 2010

No Pictures. Just Words. How Can You Read That?

Avid reader and wannabe writer seeks outlet.
This is what outlet I have...for now. So this is what I have been thinking about a lot lately. Here goes: Running. Hoping I'll still be able to run after all this time. Hope it's like riding a bike. Riding a bike. Sleep. Potty training. Carpet cleaner. Avatar, that really awesome movie. Hunting for food. Cooking lessons. Sleep. School. Finding a good Pre-School. Pretty baby clothes for my pretty baby. Money to buy those pretty baby clothes. Egypt. King Tut exhibit. Sleep. Writing a blog about...something.
This may seem like a random post about random things, but to me it's about being a mom. A mom with very young kids. When you're a mom, you give up yourself. It has to be that way, at least for a little while. Because while you're in charge of making sure that another human being survives their first year of life without too much diaper rash, ear infections, swallowing something hazardous like plant food or marbles, learning how to walk and talk etc, it takes some serious time and dedication. Then come the two's. It's a four letter word. Tantrums, talking back, selective hearing, the word "no", potty training. Ok, it comes with some pretty serious perks too. Laughing, pretending, the words "I love you Mommy", sometimes sharing (hey, I'll take what little I can get on this subject), playing. But all of this leads to mom forgetting who she is for a while. At least this mom. It seems that for our entire lives, we are taught to think about what we want to do, who we want to become, how we want to look, where we want to work. Focusing so much time on "me". Then you have kids and me changes to we which then changes to them. So here's to me looking back at who I was and looking forward to who I want to be. It seems to me that this time of my life, and my children's lives, is when I get to simmer on the back burner waiting to turn into a seriously good soup. Or sauce. Then I could be "saucy". Anyway, so while I'm making plans about my life with, during, and enduring this journey that is motherhood, I hope that it brings back a new and improved...Me. Then I'll be able to really enjoy running, riding a bike, reading good books, testing out all my theories about who I am now that I've become a more rounded me. Because without my kids, I wouldn't be half the me that I am now.
More rested, but not complete.
This has become a serious mom blog, but I feel that purging myself of all this has helped. So now it's off to bed for a series of short naps, after which I'll wake up not rested in the least, but happily simmering while Lucas and Natalie laugh, share, have diaper rash, and try to swallow everything.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Just read your post.
And I can say that now you and I have one more thing in common!
And, you are a great writer. Use it! Even if it's just for rants about the whole MOM thing!
Love you!

Jessica said...

Can I just say that it is nice to read and relate! I know you know that I can relate but you have put it very well! Great post! I will say that I am anxious for the getting back to me part too!